Highway 9 was one of the first roads that helped open up “the bush” north of the town of York (now City of Toronto). The roads were rough and often impassable from April to November. Deep ruts of mud formed and stage coaches would get stuck until they developed the ‘corduroy road’, laying cedar trees side by each creating a very bumpy path. Over time these original roads were made better and now are the main thoroughfares in our community. This is a tribute to Highway 9, a major route in Dufferin County.
Highway 9 was first assumed into the provincial highway system on February 26, 1920 as the Arthur–Kincardine Road. It was extended to Cookstown in the early 1930s via Orangeville and Shelburne, creating a short lived concurrency with Highway 10. In 1937, the road between Orangeville and Schomberg was designated part of Highway 9. The concurrency was discontinued, and the remainder became Highway 89. In 1965, Highway 9 was extended to Newmarket along Davis Drive.